How to approach the privacy topic to kids and parents

Of all people, perhaps the ones who have the most privileged view over what the future will look like are school teachers. They are the ones who see every day the future generations and there have been accounts that kids might have lost some concept of privacy due to the social networks and their “open” nature.

And it’s a shame because it has been a concept that took hundreds of years to evolve, just for it to go away within a generation as well as all off the freedoms it entails.

So I think that one of our focus could be perhaps on teaching kids and parents the value of privacy. I’ve had requests from school teachers to provide this sort of education, so the opportunity is there.

Recently I’ve been in a talk that gave me a very interesting idea on how to approach kids and parents about this topic:

All the best kid’s stories are the ones in which the parent’s are not around, from Pippi Longstocking to Harry Potter.

Why is that? It’s because that’s when the kids feel the most freedom of explore and play. I’m not saying that the parents shouldn’t be around at all keeping an eye. But I think this can pass well the idea that the kids need space to grow.

But this is just an idea :slight_smile:

Related discussion:

How do you protect the online privacy of your children?

Children are entitled to protection of their privacy too. What can you do as a parent to prevent too much information about your child being exposed online? Or strangers taking off with their data?

A recent article by Bits of Freedom the Dutch privacy advocacy organization) taks just about this issue and how to tackle it. I thought it could be a interesting read for some :slight_smile:

But sometimes it’s just not the kids that need a talk about privacy and dignity. It’s also the parents who are responsible for the sharing of chidren’s life even before they understand what consent means. I suggest you read this article

This comedy video by The Onion explains it quite well!

https://invidio.us/watch?v=ziltBdyFxDo

A good moto could be: “Don’t sell your kid’s privacy for likes” (maybe too strong? idk. I like it)