Privacy preserving Android distributions (ROMs)

I’m adding a long discussed topic as mobiles phones are the worst candidates to privacy. Let’s create a list of privacy preserving distributions (ROMs). I make the start by adding some, feel free to add yours or comment on it.

Replicant a fully free Android distribution running on several devices, a free software mobile operating system putting the emphasis on freedom and privacy/security

1 Like

/e/ may not be totally google-free:

https://infosec-handbook.eu/blog/e-foundation-first-look/

I would say also

and although it’s not android, it can be installed on android phones

I wasn’t aware of it BTW nice work at InfoSec Handbook.
It will be interesting to find out how many times any Android distribution contact Google services and sends unencrypted data.

The gist:

Original summary: /e/ promises “better data privacy and data security for individuals and corporations” by offering an “ungoogled” smartphone OS. As shown above, this isn’t completely true. There is still Google traffic when using their operating system. Besides, the weather app and Magic Earth transfer personal data in cleartext. Then, there is a Google font on their website.

Additionally, some people don’t want Signal or Telegram preinstalled on their smartphone. We observed traffic between the smartphone and an IP address of the Telegram Messenger Network without using the app.

While /e/ looks promising, it isn’t Google-free by now.

1 Like